Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Packing and Rwanda

After a brief morning of packing, I burned a few CD’s for the school. Returned all of the equipment that I had been using, and then it was down to financial stuff. Eugene, the accountant, returned to the school with my check pretty late and I had to work out some bugs with the bill.

Note – in the future when you are working for a school make sure you get a weekly bill, especially in Africa, so you know how much you are going to be required to pay. The school was very flexible and negotiated with me on a very fair rate and setup, but it was a headache to get everything worked out. My check was missing reimbursement for my travel expenses, but they just took this amount out of my bill.
The final bill ended up being around 1800-1900 USD which was pretty steep in my opinion, but living in Africa really is a novelty and I am glad to have had the experience living at the school with the cold showers, the staff who have become my close friends, and the ability to work late into the evening or early in the morning depending on what needed to be done. I think next time I will probably live in a friends home instead of staying at the school.

I ended the day cashing my check and exchanging money back into US dollars. I lost a lot in the exchange, but I was expecting this.

Overall, I wouldn't consider today a work day, but I guess I am entitled to a couple days off during my three months in Rwanda, especially because I worked more hours than most of the employees at the school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home