Sunday, May 14, 2006

Kigali - Arrival and the RSPH

Lugging the loaded luggage, I walked gratefully towards an individual who I assumed to be Josh. Josh is an upbeat positive person who quickly is helping me to feel safely at home in the city of Kigali. Josh has outstanding French, for which I am envious, and a way with communicating with people.

Jumping into the school's taxi, we speed towards the Rwanda School of Public Health (RSPH). The rolling hills that appear have a lush green foilage covering with different styles of housing growing out of the roots. The paved streets, cobblestone streets, and dirt roads add a massaging texture to the drive. We pass small trucks and cars, mostly Toyota and Nissan that skirt back and forth across the road.

The RSPH hides on the south east of the city of Kigali. As we pull in through the outside gate, I notice that the buildings are made almost exclusively out of brick which adds a sturdy feeling to the surroundings. The 1-acre grounds are beautifully landscaped and whoopying birds call to each other constantly from the trees.

After some brief introductions with Stephi, John De Du, and John Paul, I am given a tour of the campus. It appears that the school is growing and I have arrived at the crossroads of bringing the digital aspect of the school to light. Walls are being rebuilt around the grounds and a new computer classroom is being constructed.

At the conclusion of this tour, Josh and I follow John Paul to my room. The room is very similar to the YMCA hostel rooms in Nairobi, except much cleaner with a better smell. The walls are sunset yellow and the mosquito net is forest green. My bags take up the majority of the living space, but that soon will be remedied. The best feature of the room is the large window that provides a view of the courtyard and mess hall. There is a sink, but no bathroom in the room. The bathroom luckily is very close next door and the cold showers will be refreshing. I'll need to be flexible, but the accomodations will suit me fine for the next three months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home